Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Happy Beerthday!







I'm back with yet another pinterest inspiration.  For Jared's birthday in December his brother and sister and law came to visit. The can't get Yeungling in NH where they live, so each time they visit we make a trip to get some for their suitcase.  Since I was anticipating a few popped tops over the weekend I decided to spice things up.

I've seen a lot of beer can cakes come up on pinterest. I didn't have to pay for the beer since they were taking it home anyway, and they were practically giving away ribbon at Michael's after Thanksgiving.  The perfect storm for this ridiculous cake!

I did a little research to make sure it would be structurally sound, and I found out that you just need a few simple supplies:

What you'll need: 
1-2 cases of your favorite canned beer
Cake boards in staggered sizes (I started with 6" and moved up by a few inches on each board)
Ribbon... as manly as it comes
Sturdy Tape







And here we go!


I used 2-3 cake boards for the bottom, just in case we had to move it. Fill it from the outside in to ensure a nice round shape from the front. 

Add the next smallest cake board and fill it up with more beer! 

One tier higher!

When all of your tiers are assembled and centered you can start adding the ribbon.

I used a burlap and cream wire ribbon (so manly). It helps hold the shape so the ribbon doesn't have to sit as tightly against the cans. 

Attach a small bit of tape the the ribbon on the back side. A straight pin could work just as well if your ribbon is particularly pesky. 


Fashion a fancy bow (again...manly) for the top and tie it to the highest tier.  Voila! 



The boys loved pulling a layer off the top throughout the weekend, and there was plenty to take home to NH. Mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment